Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Namaste!

Travel day finally arrives.  China Eastern from LAX to Shanghai was delayed "one or two" hours.  At one point, I left the gate to get some stuff from the newsstand right next to the gate. When I got back to the gate, nobody was there,  and the staff at the check-in were British Air, going to London!!  I couldn't believe they that could load a plane and take off that fast!  Checking the departure board, there was no notice of the flight.  And it became apparent I wasn't alone looking for the lost flight!   A second check on the departure board finally shows that the gate was moved to the other end of the terminal and departure time set for 3pm.  Eventually we all found the plane in time to take off for Shanghai - filled to capacity with mostly Chinese, a few Indians and one red head!!  Two notes on China Eastern - 1) the seats were awful, crammed and ergonomically crunching, 2) I don't think safety is a big issue; you either know the safety rules of flying, and follow them or not.  On the other hand, flight attendants led the whole plane on a nice little calisthenics/stretching routine during our descent into Shanghai.  No orange chicken on the menu.
After about 21 hours in flight time, which oddly enough, passed pretty quickly and very uneventfully, I landed in New Delhi at 1:30am July 4th.   Customs was quick and easy; the airport new and enormous, was busy for such an early hour.
Outside all the airport formalities I was met by Asha James and her husband, who so graciously come to pick me up! We traveled by their car for about one hour, through such a different, yet oddly familiar India - roads and buildings all built up and looking very new.  But the driving is hectic and crazy and even in the darkness, I could see people sleeping on the meridian between the chaotic and noisy traffic.
It's already 5am and I need to be up in 6 hours to meet with Asha James to plan our itinerary.  I am so looking forward to seeing New Delhi by daylight!

No comments:

Real Time Web Analytics